All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

NEWS:

Post subject: Terraria - 2D Building Sandbox Game
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:18 am 
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Medals: 5
Blog: View Blog (0)
So, has anybody heard of Terraria? If you've heard of Minecraft, then you might have heard of Terraria.

Here are the official forums:

http://www.terrariaonline.com/

The game is a 2D Sandbox, kind of like Minecraft, in which you dig for resources, create items, build homes, fight monsters, etc. However, unlike Minecraft, Terraria is based moreover on exploration and adventure than just building. There is a multiplayer mode as well as a singleplayer mode, A lot of PvP, tons of weapons, machines and structures which can be made for specific purposes (shark traps, traps for harpies, etc.), certain types of blocks behave in certain ways when placed, there are several biomes ranging from Hell to the Ocean to Corruption Agents (purple evil that spreads and takes over land, with special things inside it).

Only people who have never played Terraria before will brand it a Minecraft rip-off. There are other differences between Terraria and Minecraft, ranging from subtle to major. For instance, all your gear lasts forever (unless thrown into lava or sold to an NPC :P). Your axes and pickaxes do not wear out.

I think Minecraft has tools, bows and arrows, swords, explosives (I don't know if they can be used as weapons) and snowballs (?). Terraria has multiple types of swords, spears, axes, hammers, hamaxes (hammers and axes fused), several guns, magic weapons, flails, explosives, weapons which can be thrown (knives shurikens), and boomerangs. There are currently 4 bosses to fight in the game, with more probably coming. Also, a recent update added alchemy, which allowed one to create potions and items used for attacking and healing, and then some stuff about flying, walking on water, glowing people, swimming in lava, turning invisible, etc.

The game costs $10 on steam, and so far, 640 000 people have bought it. It updates faster than Minecraft does, because Notch is incredibly lazy. In fact, it is currently in the 1.0.5 stage, and the developers say that in the next few months, the updates will add so much content that the game won't even be recognizable from it's beta. :P I can imagine that it has lower requirements than Minecraft, so almost any computer should be able to play it. It's a neat way to spend time and get ideas for Minecraft while playing another game, and it might help slow down that burnout for Minecraft. :P

It would be neat if you guys could check the game out. I get lonely sometimes, because I don't know the people on their community as well as you guys. :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Terraria - 2D Building Sandbox Game
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:14 am 
Boo
Boo
User avatar}

Blog: View Blog (1)
Terraria, huh? didn't Redigit make that? (Yeah, I'm talking about THE Redigit, the guy who made SMBX) Either way, yeah, I've heard of Terraria. Anyone who calls it a Minecraft rip-off in my opinion is quite close-minded. I would like to give Terraria a try as it looks like a really fun game to explore with friends, but I just haven't gotten around to buying it; Steam also likes being a total jerk to my laptop (Okay fine really, it's my laptop's crappy specs that makes running Steam the equivalent of trying to toast bread with a magnifying glass). And no, i'm not going to pirate it. :P

Although I'm that kind of guy that's more building-oriented and just generally likes messing around, so if I was given a choice between Minecraft and Terraria, I'd choose Minecraft (Terraria still looks like it kicks ```, though :P). If I ever do get Terraria, it'd be interesting to hang out on whatever Multiplayer server you're on.

By the way, isn't it more easier for Terraria to update because it's a 2D game, and Minecraft is a 3D game? Sure, both have fantastic random terrain generation, but Minecraft is a bit more complex when you really think about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:32 pm 
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

Terraria still has a lot of building in it. There are tons of things homes can be made out of, a lot of background walls so you aren't looking at sky, doors, tables, beds, chandeliers, decorative books, etc. Also, the developers mentioned adding more things such as furniture, grandfather clocks, and apparently armour stands. You can also build things out of the rarer materials usually used to make armour, like gold, obsidian, and hellstone.

In Terraria, they have to focus a bit more on the artwork of the blocks, because they have to blend with whatever blocks are around them. Certain blocks (not building bricks and background blocks, but "natural" blocks) have a different look when they're alone, attached to 1 block, attached to 2 blocks, etc. It would be kind of weird if you were to see individual dirt clumps forming a mountain. Minecraft doesn't have to deal with that kind of stuff, because blocks don't really need to blend with each other. They're blocks whether or not anything is next to them.

Other than that, I do suppose that Minecraft has a lot more to worry about, but I've heard from a lot of people from both the Minecraft and Terraria community say that Notch is fairly slow coming out with updates. I still think that, after putting a lot of work into it, any massive 3D structure in Minecraft would be more impressive than one in Terraria however. It might not look as "pretty" though. :lol:

Finally, I don't think pirated versions are able to use the multiplayer servers anyway, can they? :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:08 pm 
Metal Mario
Metal Mario
User avatar}

Medals: 4
Blog: View Blog (2)
Sergeant wrote:
Finally, I don't think pirated versions are able to use the multiplayer servers anyway, can they? :P

I haz teh pirated version and I can do multiplayer. but it doesn't self update so I have to manually download a new pirated version everytime there is an update. I don't play anymore cause I got bored but when ever the game expands from the beta and totally changes I'm gonna buy the legit version. I'm gonna wait a few months for that though because I am currently bored of it

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:10 pm 
Forum God
Forum God
User avatar}

Medals: 6
Blog: View Blog (8)
36gamer wrote:
Sergeant wrote:

I haz teh pirated version and I can do multiplayer. but it doesn't self update so I have to manually download a new pirated version everytime there is an update. I don't play anymore cause I got bored but when ever the game expands from the beta and totally changes I'm gonna buy the legit version. I'm gonna wait a few months for that though because I am currently bored of it

I was going to buy this because I thought it looked cool, but then I heard that it gets boring pretty quick so I didn't.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:13 pm 
Metal Mario
Metal Mario

Medals: 3
Master Ride wrote:
36gamer wrote:
Sergeant wrote:

I was going to buy this because I thought it looked cool, but then I heard that it gets boring pretty quick so I didn't.

Yeah it's basically like another Minecraft I hear.
Meaning, overrated and repetitive.
Also Redigit is gay.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:43 am 
Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant

I'm pretty sure that a person can spend 2 weeks time on this game before getting bored of it. I mean, if you go on a multiplayer server and ask for the best gear before doing anything else, then yeah, it will get boring because it isn't a challenge, but getting every armour set in the game, or collecting the rarest items in places like the Underground Jungle, which are normally MASSIVE, will keep you occupied. There are also ways to speed things up and make things more interesting. There's a potion to make all the ores and treasure chests underground glow. :P

IMO, only collecting all that Hellstone for the final tier of armour is sort of repetitive, but the set only takes about 620 pieces, and it goes by a lot quicker if you know how to offset all the demons and hellbats. :P

Also, maybe you should see a Let's Play of Terraria. There are tons of them out there, and this one is one of my favourite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6NkLrR ... ideo_title

The commentary is really funny, but if you want to skip to the action, go to 3:00.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:01 am 
Metal Mario
Metal Mario
User avatar}

Medals: 4
I got bored after like 5 days. but i did play it for like 24 hours straight those days

Profile E-mail